Still wanted: One principal for West Hernando Middle School
BROOKSVILLE — After narrowing down a field to two finalists, the school district is once again accepting applications for the top spot at West Hernando Middle School.
The principal’s job had been re-posted on the district’s Web site by Monday afternoon. The application period closes Tuesday, Aug. 11.
School superintendent Wayne Alexander did not return a call seeking comment by deadline Monday evening.
A committee of district staffers and community members had interviewed 11 candidates for the job last week and recommended two finalists for Alexander to interview. He conducted those interviews Monday.
The names of the two finalists could not be confirmed by the St. Petersburg Times on Monday.
Of the 11 candidates interviewed by the committee, eight are current district employees -- and all eight are assistant principals seeking their first principal post.
Among them were Carmine Rufa and Lorna Lowe, currently assistant principals at West Hernando. Both worked for Toni-Ann Noyes, who left the school last month after she was named principal at Nature Coast Technical High School.
The other six in-house candidates:
* Robert Griffin, assistant principal at Nature Coast Technical High;
* Barbara Kidder, assistant principal at Explorer K-8;
* Sue Lisk, assistant principal at Central High;
* Richard Markford, assistant principal at Challenger K-8;
* Deborah Shaw, assistant principal at Pine Grove Elementary;
* Jamie Young, assistant principal at Powell Middle School.
The out-of-district candidates:
* P. Stephen Clemons, principal at Eastside High in Clermont.
* Virginia Maxwell, who served last year as a third grade teacher at James Elementary School in Tampa and held an assistant principal post at Moton Elementary in Brooksville from 2004 to 2008.
* Susan May Strong, currently principal at Lenox Memorial Middle and High School in Lenox, Mass.
The pay range for a middle school principal post is $72,624 to $84,728, depending on experience of the candidate and the school’s enrollment.
West Hernando, on Ken Austin Parkway between Central High and Pine Grove Elementary schools, ended last year with an enrollment of about 1,030.
-- Tony Marrero