Ten Pasco elementary schools float magnet themes
Aiming to increase school choice options, Pasco schools superintendent Heather Fiorentino this spring called upon elementary schools to come up with magnet themes.
Ten answered the call.
On Tuesday, Fiorentino plans to bring the ideas to the School Board to see which, if any, they want to pursue, and when. Board members have said they will bring many questions, not the least of which will be estimated costs. The district does face a $25.6 million shortfall for the coming year, they noted.
The proposals are:
- New River Elementary — Global Marketplace, revolving around a school Florida-friendly garden
- Longleaf Elementary — K-8 School of the Arts, including dance, strings, theater and digital arts
- Trinity Elementary — College Academy, focusing on rigorous academic studies
- Cypress Elementary — Center for the Arts, exploring dance, drama, visual arts, cinematography and music
- Odessa Elementary — STEM School, a comprehensive education with a focus on science, technology, engineering and math
- Deer Park Elementary — STEM Innovation School, providing project-based learning using technology
- Oakstead Elementary — Center for the Arts, integrating traditional curriculum with arts education
- Fox Hollow Elementary — Fox Hollow Tech, with an emphasis on math, science and technology
- Wesley Chapel Elementary — WCESoI, with core subjects of science, technology, engineering and math
- Seven Springs Elementary — Dual Language Program, a partial immersion and culture enhancement program in English and Spanish
A parent survey recently showed that respondents most wanted to see STEM and college prep magnets. Stay tuned to learn the board's direction.