UF names search committee for new president
The next president of the University of Florida will be chosen by a mix of university trustees, faculty, students, former UF leaders and members of the Florida Board of Governors.
Twenty-three people make up the search committee that will recruit Bernie Machen's replacement, the university announced Tuesday. UF Board of Trustees chairman David Brown will also chair the committee, which will begin meeting in early August. The search has no deadline.
As senior advisers to the committee, Brown has tapped Marshall Criser, a former UF president and first Board of Trustees chairman; former UF Board of Trustees chairs Manny Fernandez and Mac McGriff; Dean Colson, chairman of the Florida Board of Governors; and Machen.
“The committee represents the best of the Gator Nation, and I am confident they will succeed in our effort to find a visionary new leader for this great university,” Brown said in a statement.
Here they are:
- Marshall Criser, III, a member of UF's Board of Trustees and president of AT&T Florida
- Charles Edwards, a trustee and lawyer and real estate broker
- Michael Heekin, a trustee and president of Heekin Advisors, LLC, a consulting firm
- Carolyn Roberts, a trustee, former member of the Board of Governors and president of Roberts Real Estate
- Juliet Roulhac, a trustee and lawyer with the Florida Power & Light Company
- Carlos Alfonso, a Tampa architect and immediate past chair of the UF Board of Trustees
- Cammy Abernathy, dean of UF's College of Engineering
- Paul D’Anieri, dean of UF's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Ben M. Dunn, a UF professor of biochemistry and molecular biology
- David Guzick, senior vice president for health affairs at UF and president of UF&Shands Health System and Shands at UF
- Harry Klee, a UF professor of horticulture sciences and plant molecular and cellular biology
- Keith Koenig, former chair of the UF Foundation and president of the south Florida City Furniture company
- David Kratzer, UF's vice president for student affairs
- Dianna Morgan, a former chairwoman of UF's Board of Trustees
- Danita Nias, executive director and associate vice president of the UF Alumni Association
- David Norton, UF's vice president for research
- Scott Nygren, a UF English professor and former chair of the Faculty Senate
- Ava L. Parker, a member of the Board of Governors, lawyer and UF alum
- Jack Payne, UF's senior vice president for agriculture and natural resources and head of the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
- Brian Ray, the associate dean and director of UF's Heavener School of Business
- Lynda Tealer, senior associate athletics director and senior woman administrator for the UF Athletic Association
- TJ Villamil, UF's student body president, a senior in the College of Journalism and Communications
UF's is one of two particularly important presidential searches that are about to launch, with the search for a new leader of the troubled Florida A&M University on its heels.