Naming ideas pour in for new Pasco County schools
Every time the Pasco school district prepares to open a new school, it turns to the community for ideas on how to name the campuses.
School Board members have tended to favor place names in the recent past (Wiregrass Elementary and Anclote High, for example). But that never stops the suggestions for honoring people, recognizing history or, sometimes, just being random.
This year is no different.
For the new high school (GGG) on Old Pasco Road, the proposals include:
- Bellamy Brothers High, after the local country band.
- McKendree Ranch High, after the family that homesteaded the site.
- Lucy Morgan High, after the retired Tampa Bay Times award-winning reporter who started her career in Pasco County.
- Quail Hollow High, for its proximity to the Quail Hollow neighborhood and elementary school
- Cypress Creek High, for the nearby water body
For the new elementary school (B) in the Bexley Ranch subdivision, the proposals include:
- Bexley Ranch Elementary, for its location
- Lt. Charles "Bo" Harrison Elementary, after the former Sheriff's Office officer who was gunned down while on duty
- Royal Tern Elementary, after the local bird species
The School Board is scheduled to pick names on Tuesday. It has not yet appointed leaders to run the schools.