No application fee for St. Pete College next week
Would-be students can apply to St. Petersburg College without paying that pesky $40 application fee next week, but of course, there's a catch: Applicants must attend one of four open house events at campuses throughout Pinellas County.
"SPC Week" kicks off at the St. Petersburg/Gibbs campus on Monday. While all the open houses are from 2 to 7 p.m., offering campus tours and more, each is a little different. The Gibbs campus is going for a '70s theme while showing off its recording arts studio and radio station. Free coffee, snacks and rootbeer floats (yep) will also be offered.
Although they can leave the $40 check at home, applicants need to bring certain documents to apply for financial aid and in-state tuition rates.
The full week's schedule and themes, after the jump:
- March 18 - St. Petersburg/Gibbs - "Hourly tours will be offered, and attendees will be able to visit of the campus’ Music Industry Recording Arts (MIRA) studio and SPC’s MYRA radio station. Participants can stop by Retro Joe’s on the second floor of the library between noon and 2 p.m. for free coffee, snacks and root beer floats. They also can attend a MIRA performance at the campus’ Student Services building. During the event, there will be drawings for six Barnes & Noble $50 gift cards."
- March 19 - Clearwater - "SPC Week participants will be able to explore the college’s various degrees and departments at a Campus Expo in the campus’ new Ethics and Social Sciences building. Sample refreshments will be provided by The Hard Drive Cafe. The campus tour will include stops at the Learning Resource Commons, Crossroads Gallery, the high-tech Collaborative Center for Emerging Technologies and the Writing Studio."
- March 20 - Tarpon Springs - "The Tarpon Springs Campus will host a scavenger hunt tour with a pirate theme during its SPC Week event. Attendees will be greeted with music, popcorn and snacks, then given a map of the campus. The scavenger hunt tour will include stops at the College of Education, Cafe Olympus, the Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art, the campus’ soccer fields and the Wellness Center. Applicants will be registered to win one of three $50 Barnes & Noble gift cards."
- March 20 - Downtown - "SPC Downtown will be offering a tour of its campus, located in the heart of St. Petersburg. It is housed with the SPC Downtown Arts Cultural Center and within walking distance of all of the area’s numerous restaurants, theaters and other cultural venues. For SPC Week, the campus has reached out to area GED programs to notify potential students about the opportunities available at SPC Downtown. A drawing for a Barnes & Noble gift card also will be held."
- March 21 - Seminole - "Highlights from the Seminole Campus SPC Week event will include guided tours of the campus’ Learning Commons, specialized classrooms, TV Studio and state-of-the-art Digitorium, plus information about new construction coming in June 2013. The event also will include hourly drawings for gift cards and SPC Theme gifts. Participants will be able to meet with academic chairs and faculty to learn more about the campus’ programs, specifically: entrepreneurship program; digital arts, media and interactive web design; environmental science technology; hospitality and tourism management; and public policy and administration."