Pasco teachers reminded to keep classrooms safe
As Pasco teachers prepare to return to their classrooms in just over a week, the district is reminding them of the most common violations of fire code that inspectors have found year after year.
The message is to avoid these problems as much as possible going forward.
- A non-fire sprinkled building may not cover more than 20% of each classroom wall.
- A fully fire sprinkled building may not cover more than 50% of each classroom wall.
- No paper or student work is allowed on these walls as this is your path out of the building in the event of a fire.
- Paper or anything combustible is prohibited from being hung from the ceiling.
- The use of extension cords is not permitted. The power strips that have a circuit breaker are allowed providing they are plugged directly into the wall outlet.
- No hanging of paper on exit doors. Only exception is when a lockdown is taking place.
So if you're wondering why classrooms display only limited amounts of student artwork, for instance, you'll understand that it's just teachers following the rules.