Southside St. Pete PTA seeks ambassadors for school outreach
The Southside St. Petersburg Community PTA, a community parent-teacher association formed in December to tend to the area's struggling schools, is seeking new members to help expand its outreach with school-specific committees.
The group's president, Zamarie Johnson, issued a memo urging "parents, administrators, teachers and anyone else invested in the success of our children," to come to the group's April 19 meeting at 6 p.m. at Enoch Davis Center, 1111 18th Ave S in St. Petersburg.. to join one of nine regional committees. They are:
- Maximo and Lakewood elementaries
- Bay Point elementary and middle
- Lakewood High and Bay Vista Fundamental
- Lakeview Fundamental and James B. Sanderlin PK-8 IB World School
- Melrose Elementary and John Hopkins Middle
- University Prep Academy and Campbell Park Elementary
- Bear Creek and Fairmount Park elementaries
- Jamerson and Perkins elementaries
- Gibbs High and Thurgood Marshall Fundamental
Johnson said that while the PTA exists for the betterment of the entire community, these regional committees will be able to provide support specific to those schools. Initiatives stemming from those committees could include financial literacy and health and wellness courses for parents.
"This is a great opportunity to help turn our schools into places that produce great men and women who contribute to society rather than products of "failure factories" producing men and women with no hope for a future," Johnson wrote.