Survey shows Pasco teachers critical of quarterly tests
The United School Employees of Pasco has provided the Pasco School Board with some compelling information as the board approaches its Tuesday afternoon workshop on assessment.
The union's survey of about 1,850 members showed that 79 percent found the district-written quarterly "checks" were not based entirely on material presented before students took them. Eighty-six percent said the questions were not well written and easily understood. Seventy-seven percent said not all questions had appropriate and valid answers.
District officials have acknowledged that the rollout of the quarterly checks could have been handled more appropriately. They have not backed down on the concept, though, suggesting that students and teachers needed to understand where they stood in relation to the standards expected to be taught and learned.
Superintendent Kurt Browning has insisted that the checks should not be used in any high-stakes manner, and instead should provide information to help with instruction. His office has received criticism for the program, launched this fall.
The School Board is set to discuss quarterly checks and other aspects of testing during its workshop at 4 p.m. See below for the USEP survey results, delivered late Monday to board members. The district also has conducted its own survey, but the results are not yet available.
USEP Quarterly Checks Survey (1884 total submissions)
1. Quarterly Checks should be used as a grade for students
Strongly Agree 51
Strongly Disagree 881
2. The most recent Quarterly Check aligns with course curriculum
Strongly Agree 57
Strongly Disagree 363
3. All Questions in the Quarterly Check were from material previously covered.
Strongly Agree 36
Strongly Disagree 568
4. Questions in the Quarterly check were well-written and easily understood.
Strongly Agree 21
Strongly Disagree 829
5. All questions in the Quarterly Checks had appropriate and valid answers.
Strongly Agree 26
Strongly Disagree 609
6. How much class time was associated with Quarterly Checks?
One to two hours 706
Three to four hours 678
Five to six hours 265
Seven hours or more 186
7. Support Facilitators Only: Were you pulled from your regular duties to proctor the Quarterly Checks?