Clear66° FULL FORECASTClear66° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Gradebook

Education news and notes from Tampa Bay and Florida

USF president Genshaft awarded $168,875 performance bonus

USF System President Judy Genshaft

Times files

USF System President Judy Genshaft

1

December

TAMPA — USF System President Judy Genshaft will take home $168,875 of a potential $175,000 performance stipend, university trustees decided Thursday, bringing her pay for the year to $795,275.

“I would tell you I think we’ve had one of the best years on record,” chairman Brian Lamb told the board. “And I would tell you we wouldn’t be where we are without our president.”

Thursday’s board meeting was full of praise for Genshaft’s leadership in the 2015-2016 year. Lamb ticked off achievements such as a public-private partnership that will bring a massive housing village to campus, as well as progress on USF’s path to preeminence.

Each year, Genshaft’s performance stipend comes down to a discussion among trustees. The board’s governance committee allots 70 percent of the stipend, and the board chairman allots the remaining 30 percent.

Last month, after a long discussion about Genshaft’s progress on predetermined goals, the governance committee decided to award 95 percent of the portion they control. Their motion passed at the full meeting Thursday.

Lamb said Thursday he looked at more intangible factors when evaluating Genshaft this year. He considered leadership, the university’s direction, the talent of its people. He weighed its brand and reputation, considered the performance of its peers. And he talked to state higher education leaders about Genshaft’s performance.

Lamb told the board that a conversation with state Board of Governors chair Thomas Kuntz sounded like this: “Brian, you guys had an amazing year at USF. I’m very pleased and impressed with the leadership of the president.”

Lamb awarded Genshaft all of the money that he controls.

“I’m recommending awarding 100 percent,” he said. “I’m very proud to do so, and she earned every bit of it. When you look at where we’re going, we’re very fortunate to have Judy Genshaft as our leader.”

Altogether, that gave Genshaft 96.5 percent of her total possible stipend.

“Wow,” the president said after a moment of applause. “I’m particularly pleased with your positive regard of the work that I do and just the integrity that I try to bring to this institution.”

Genshaft, in her sixteenth year at USF, remains one of the top-paid public university presidents in the nation.

Thursday’s stipend discussion was the final component of her 2011-2016 contract. Her new one-year contract has already begun. It increases her base pay and shifts what used to be a retention bonus into the potential performance pay category, so that next time trustees weigh her performance, $275,000 will be on the line.

Altogether, she stands to make $867,200, an 8.2 percent increase over the previous year.

Her contract also provides for a $988 auto stipend each month, and dues for the Tampa Palms Country Club and the University Club.

[Last modified: Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:29pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...