Vacancy remains on Florida Board of Education
One Florida Board of Education seat remains open as the board embarks upon a keenly watched debate over state testing and accountability this week.
Gov. Rick Scott moved former State Board member John Colon to the Manatee School Board earlier this year, and has not moved to replace him yet.
So far, six people have put their names forth, including one-time Pinellas School Board member Glenton Gilzean Jr., who lost his election bid after Scott appointed him to an open seat. Gilzean was set to become a FAMU trustee in 2014 before running into potential conflicts with his day job.
Other applicants include:
- Michael Carrere, Lykes Bros. chief executive
- Stuart Greenberg, former Just Read Florida director
- Paula Meckley, a one-time candidate for Hillsborough School Board
- James Hoyne, a one-time candidate for Marion School Board
- Amy Porzio, a Miami-Dade teacher
The governor's press office said there is no time table for the appointment, and anyone is welcome to apply.