Another crack at predicting Class 6A, DIstrict 6
I didn’t like my Class 6A, District 6 predictions when I made them last month, and I don’t like them now. The never-ending rain cut most of the summer 7-on-7 league – and most of my observation time before fall practice began. Plus, I couldn’t get CCC’s convincing win over Hernando in the spring game out of my head.
1. Land O’Lakes
4. Nature Coast
5. River Ridge
But at the risk of sounding like a flip-flopper (eh, I’ve been called much worse than that), I’m taking a second crack at predicting one of Tampa Bay’s tightest district races, now that I’ve seen some practices. If I’m wrong, feel free to point and laugh at me in November. If the Gators end up making the playoffs, I’ll join in and mock myself, too. I’ve done it before.
- Hernando: Yeah, the Leopards have a new coach, and yeah, they struggled against CCC. But they still have three of the district’s top players, plus a stout defense. If I were going to bet my miniscule 401 (K) on a team, it’d be Hernando.
- Sunlake: If Josh Zifer and the Seahawks pass less and run more, they’ll be fine. The depleted offensive line remains the biggest question mark – and the reason why I kept Sunlake out of the playoffs in my first prediction.
- Land O’Lakes: I like RB Harrison Wood a lot, and the defense has some playmakers, too. My concern is Land O’Lakes’ youth at quarterbacks. If they develop, the Gators are a district title contender.
- Nature Coast: The O-line is quicker, and Matt Breida is still very, very good. If the Sharks develop a quarterback, this team could make the playoffs.
- River Ridge: My esteemed colleague John C. Cotey loves the Royal Knights. I like their size and a much improved Josh Maisel. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see River Ridge sneak into the playoffs.
- Mitchell: If coach Scott Schmitz says this is his best backfield in seven years, then district defenses should beware.
- Springstead: I think the Eagles will be a lot better than they were last year, but I can’t rank them above any of these teams.
- Central: The Bears have some talent. WR Quadavis Battle has D-I athleticism, and QB Cole Teater is solid, too.
What do you think? Who do you think are the top two teams in this district? Which rankings did I botch the most?