Girls basketball has tipped off, and here's what's going on
We know it's football, volleyball and cross country postseason, and our basketball previews are coming next week, and we haven't really had time to come up for air to look at the winter sports yet, but I'm going to take a deep breath right now and run through some things, and some of the area's better performances, I noticed from last night.
* Gulf didn't call in its score, but the Bucs' Kayla Kiviniski tweeted her performance, which has to be the Tampa Bay Performance Of The Night: 35 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals and 3 blocks.
* The Freedom girls basketball team is going to be really good. Still working on Tampa Bay rankings, but there's no doubt the Patriots are in the top 3. I think Lakewood is No. 1, and I think Freedom could fall right behind them. Last night, it opened up its season with a 75-33 win over Alonso. Georgetown commitment Faith Woodard is arguably Tampa Bay's best player, and she scored 26 points. Taylor Emery, Tampa Bay's best freshman last year, opened her case for being the best sophomore with 24 points. It's a bummer that neither Wharton or Tampa Bay Tech are on the Patriots schedule this season.
****UPDATE: I am now being told that Wharton has been added to the Freedom schedule, for Jan. 23. Good deal.
* Tampa Bay Tech beat Plant 38-36 behind twin towers Brianna Thomas (6-foot-2) and 6-3 Kansas State commit Erica Young, who combined for 22 points.
* Alonso's Quatasia Fantroy scored 13 of her team's 33 points in the loss to Freedom.
* Andrea Aaron, who plays something like 23 different sports for Chamberlain, scored 22 points as the Chiefs beat Spoto.
* Bria Bostick, who averaged 13 points last year, scored 29 points for Gibbs to outduel Dixie Hollin's Meagan Thomas in a 58-42 Gladiator win.
* It feels like Thomas, a junior, has been playing at Dixie Holins forever, mainly because she has been scoring in bunches since first stepping on the court as a freshman. She led Pinellas County in scoring last year with 24.9 points a game and passed the 1,000-point mark, and should go down as one the county's most prolific scorers ever.
* Amber Jennings made three 3-pointers and scored 16 points as Boca Ciega beat East Lake.
* Shayna Lawrence scored 19 points for Plant City is a losing effort to Bloomingdale.
Feel free to email any outstanding performances to email@example.com, and you might want to get with me on Twitter at @JohnnyHomeTeam.