Several ties bind Jesuit, Wharton
There's a certain symmetrical quality to the appearances by Jesuit and Wharton in this week's state boys basketball tournament, and it goes far deeper than the fact both will play Friday.
Probe a bit further, and you discover:
* Wharton coach Tommy Tonelli attended a Jesuit high school (Chicago's Loyola Academy).
* Tigers guards J.J. Weir and Jack Fleming annually attended Tonelli's summer camp at Wharton while growing up.
* Fleming's dad, Dan, coached Tonelli's youngest son, Matthew, at the AAU level.
* Both coaches, Tonelli and Jesuit's Neal Goldman, attended USF.
* Both teams' mascots are cats.
* Both schools' primary color is blue (albeit different shades).
We'd also mention the Wharton and Jesuit student sections are called the Blue Crew and Blue Tide, respectively, but that gets downright creepy. Anyway, you get the picture.