Brittany Murphy's father says his daughter was poisoned before her death
The father of late Clueless actress Brittany Murphy has come forward with the assertion that his daughter, who died of pneumonia and possibly drug-related anemia back in 2009, actually was poisoned. You know, like Flowers in the Attic-style. That must mean Simon Monjack was, too.
Angelo Bertolotti said Monday that he had his daughter's hair tested for chemicals and the report found elevated levels of toxic metals, like barium, which is used in rat poisons, the New York Daily News reports. It's also used to help make x-rays and drill oil wells, so there's always the possibility she was doing one of those things.
Bertolotti said in a court filing that arsenic poisoning is occassionally misdiagnosed as anemia, but his case was dismissed in May, the paper says. The toxicology report apparently said the 32-year-old Murphy's hair samples contained safe levels of arsenic. There's some dispute where he even got the hair samples in the first place, but moving on ...
"The lab has shown that she was poisoned with criminal intent," Bertolotti told the tabloid. "We would like the investigation opened again to discover who did it. So as not to jeopardize the new investigation, I can't say who I suspect as of yet."
The coroner in the case stands by the original findings, but RadarOnline got the L.A. County District Attorney's Office to say, "If someone, including Ms. Murphy’s father, came to us with credible evidence that her death could have been caused by foul play, the office would investigate it." Note the use of the word "credible." Slate ran an explainer quoting Dr. Bruce Goldberger, director of UF health forensic medicine at the University of Florida saying, “The interpretive statement on the Carlson Laboratory report is inappropriate and misleading and could lead to false accusations.”
If we were writing our own Hollywood thriller, we'd obviously accuse Brit's mom Sharon, who was heir to the actress' estate and divorced Bertolotti when Brittany was 2 years old. It doesn't help Monjack died of something very similar five months later. Somebody call V.C. Andrews, stat!