Angelina Jolie defends controversial Bosnia movie
Angelina Jolie is up in arms over Bosnia's decision to withdraw the film permit for her directorial debut, a tender love story about a Serbian man and Muslim woman who fall for each other during the war there. Or it's about a Muslim rape victim who falls in love with her Serbian rapist, depending on to whom you're believing.
Actually, Jolie isn't divulging what the actual plot of her movie is, since it still doesn't even have a title, but she said in a statement Friday it would be a shame if "unfair pressure based on wrong information" kept her from shooting her movie, the AP reports. That pressure came from the Association of Women, Victims of War, which represents the several thousand mainly Muslim Bosnian women who were raped during Bosnia's 1992-95 war.
Bakira Hasecic, the leader of the association, told the AP that she has not read the script, but said, "From what I heard, it is about a victim in a rape camp falling in love with her rapist, and that's not only impossible but the idea is insulting. We, the victims, do not want to be portrayed that way and we complained."
In repsonse, Sarajevo's culture minister, Gavrilo Grahovac, revoked the permit for the film. It had been slated to be partially shot in Bosnia in November. Producer Edin Sarkic, who called the associaion's ideas about the movies content "insane," resubmitted the permit application with a new script on Wednesday.
"Don't judge me before you see the film," Jolie said. "Obviously any dramatic interpretation will always fail those who have had a real experience. This is not a documentary." As for the secrecy about the plot, she said, "There are many twists in the plot that address the sensitive nature of the relationship between the main characters, and that will be revealed once the film is released."
If the film is released, that is.
[Photo: Some of the shooting is also being done in Budapest, Hungary, which is where Angie is dodging rubble here. AP]