Coroner: Amy Winehouse drank herself to death
Amy Winehouse's death of July 23 finally has an official explanation: According to the coroner, her blood alcohol level was more than five times the legal limit, TMZ reports. So much for dad Mitch's absolute assertions that she had kicked the habit for good.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway described the situation as "death by misadventure," which sounds a little too whimsical to us, because alcohol poisoning really isn't a laughing matter. Family and friends of the 27-year-old singer believed she had kicked her alcoholism for good prior to her death. The rest of us, not so much. A police officer, in fact, said he found three empty vodka bottles in her room when she was found unresponsive in bed.
"It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days," Winehouse's family said in a statement following the coroner's report.
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence. It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name."
And dear Friends of Juice*, we suspect this may be the last Amy Winehouse item we ever write. Here's a photo of her in 2004, when things seemed so promising. Too bad.
[Photo: Amy Winehouse, seven long years ago. Getty Images]