Overcast78° WeatherOvercast78° Weather

Drug overdose killed Anna Nicole Smith's son

31

March

Tbdannanicolesmith040108 A year and a half after the fact, a jury in the Bahamas has ruled Monday that Daniel Smith, the 20-year-old son of Anna Nicole Smith, died from an accidental drug overdose, the AP reports.

The seven-member jury recommended no criminal charges against anyone for anything after saying the cause was "nondependent use of drugs," meaning he wasn't addicted and didn't know the drugs in his body would kill him. He died on Sept. 10, 2006, after coming to the Bahamas to meet his new baby sister, who was subsequently named Dannielynn Hope after him. Poor mama died early in 2007 from the very same thing.

But that doesn't mean Anna's mom Virgie Arthur isn't going to still try and cash in. She still thinks (like most of us) that her daughter's boyfriend, Howard K. Stern, was somehow responsible.

"We don't think it makes any sense," Arthur's attorney Neil McCabe said. "The boy was not a drug user, the judge said so. Why would he all of a sudden take a massive dose of methadone?"

Maybe he realized what a mess his family was and needed relief. What, too soon?

[Photo: Getty Images]

[Last modified: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:39am]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...