Judge clears Nicollette Sheridan's lawsuit over 'Desperate Housewives' death
An L.A. Superior Court judge tossed Nicollette Sheridan's claims that she was sexually harrassed when she was fired from Desperate Housewives, but still ruled the actress' $20 million lawsuit could go to trial. Oh, maybe she and Ricardo Chavira could carpool to the courthouse!
Judge Elizabeth White ruled Tuesday that Sheridan's claims of battery, wrongful termination and unlawful retaliation could be heard by a jury, the AP reports. She's suing series creator Marc Cherry after her slutty character Edie Britt was electrocuted in a freak car accident in the show's fifth season. Sheridan charged that Cherry hit her during a fight in September 2008, which led the honcho to plan her character's demise, hiding the storyline from other cast members.
Cherry and ABC said Sheridan was kept in the dark because they didn't want anyone to ruin the surprise, claiming the decision had been made in May 2008, before the fight. They also said her termination was a cost-cutting measure, a claim Sheridan disputes because she was still owed her full contract amount after her character was killed in the midseason finale.
"I'm very happy that I'm being treated fairly," Sheridan said. Cherry's attorney, Adam Levin, wasn't so happy, saying, "We're confident that a jury looking at all of the evidence and the numerous witnesses will conclude the character Edie Britt was killed off of Desperate Housewives for lawful reasons and Ms. Sheridan was never battered." Well, that depends on what the jury says after this one goes to trial next month.