Leslie Carter died of an overdose, police report says
Nick and Aaron Carter's late sister, aspiring singer Leslie Carter, died of an apparent overdose of prescription drugs on Tuesday, ABC News reports. While the family had asked to be left alone, stepmother Ginger Carter said the 25-year-old had "a long history of mental illness and was on medication for her depression."
A police report obtained by ABC said the drugs Olanzapine, for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder; Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant; and Alprazolam, a.k.a. Xanax, were found near Leslie on Tuesday. Ginger told police that Leslie seemed depressed that morning and fell in the shower, ABC says, so she helped Leslie lie down with 10-month-old daughter Allyssa Jane (who may have been removed from the room at some point) and checked on her from time to time. By the afternoon, she found that Leslie wasn't breathing. Her father, Robert Carter, tried to do CPR on his daughter while Ginger called 911.
The cops say Ginger appeared drunk or high or both when they showed up: "Ginger had slurred speech, pinpoint pupils, glassy eyes and kept falling asleep," according to the report. She told police she'd swallowed "five to six pills for her depression," then took more after Leslie died.
Toxicology reports are pending and, as always, will take four to six weeks for results to return. The coroner told ABC "there was nothing unusual" about Leslie's body. Funeral arrangements are being made, and the family has yet to decide if they will publicly confirm the cause of death.
[Photo: Leslie and Aaron in 2006. Getty Images]