Mark Wahlberg apologizes for Sept. 11 comments
It only took Mark Wahlberg a few hours to recant his assertion he would have prevented the Sept. 11 attacks if only he had been on the plane, much to the relief of people with half a brain everywhere. Those Men's Journal interviews, they always get you into trouble.
"If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did," the 40-year-old actor told the mag. "There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'Okay, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"
He was met with criticism from tons of folks, including 9/11 widows and The Juice*, so he issued a statement calling the quote "ridiculous" and admitting that saying it was a bad idea.
"To suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible," Wahlberg told People. "I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive. It was certainly not my intention." At least he didn't claim he was misquoted. The Juice* hates that.
While we can certainly see what he was trying to do, noting he would have fought with all his might to protect his family, it's yet another example of a celebrity saying just a bit too much. It may have been the landing safely thing, now that we think about it; the families of United 93, especially, probably could have done without that.