Clear81° WeatherClear81° Weather

Sean Combs denies L.A. Times Tupac story

18

March

Tbdseancombs031908 Sean Combs, a.k.a. Diddy, a.k.a. Sean John, a.k.a. Inflated Sense of Self Importance, has come out with mouth blazing about a report from the L.A. Times claiming he and his people were responsible for the 1994 robbery and shooting of Tupac Shakur, the AP says.

"The story is a lie," Combs said in a statement. "It is beyond ridiculous and completely false. Neither (the late rapper Notorious B.I.G.) nor I had any knowledge of any attack before, during or after it happened. ... I am shocked that the Los Angeles Times would be so irresponsible as to publish such a baseless and completely untrue story."

You'll recall that the shooting led to the East-West feud that eventually led to the deaths of both 2Pac and Biggie. The Times story, which so far has only appeared on the paper's Web site, was based on FBI records and interviews with unnamed witnesses and an FBI informant. It says that talent manager James Rosemond and promoter James Sabatino, both associates of Combs, arranged the assault because they wanted to curry favor with Diddy, who was working with B.I.G. at the time. None of the three commented for the story.

"In the past 14 years, I have not even been questioned by law enforcement with regard to the assault of Tupac Shakur, let alone brought up on charges," Rosemond said in a statement. "Chuck Philips, the writer ... has reached a new low by employing fourth-hand information from desperate jailhouse informants along with ancient FBI reports to create this fabrication. I simply ask for all rap fans and fans of Tupac to analyze this fiction for what it is."

They can analyze it all they want if the Times goes ahead and runs a print version of the story, which they still may do. Read it online here.

[Photo: Getty Images]

[Last modified: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:38am]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...