Apple giving free cases to all iPhone 4 owners
Apple had their special iPhone 4 press conference today and to boil it down to the nuts and bolts of what was said, here are some quick notes:
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs took the stage in front of an image that said "We're not perfect. Phones aren't perfect."
- 3-million iPhone 4s have bee sold since launch
- Job admitted they knew there was a change in reception when the iPhone was held is some positions
- Jobs demostrated several other smart phones, including the BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC Droid Eris, and Samsung Omnia II, that showed a similar drop in signal strength when held normally
- Jobs said only 0.55% of iPhone 4 owners have complained to AppleCare about the antenna, and that AT&T reports just a 1.7% return rate on the iPhone 4 compared to 6% with the 3GS.
- AT&T data showed an increase of under 1% of dropped calls with the iPhone 4 as compared to the 3GS, according to Jobs.
- Jobs also said the lack of supply of cases at launch caused most people to leave the store without a case and this contributed to the reception problem.
If the data is correct, that would explain why my son and I have not experienced signal issues with our iPhones. It looks like the squeaky wheels are getting everyone some free grease.
Apple will provide free bumper cases for anyone who buys an iPhone before Spetember 30. They can't make them fast enough to meet demand, so they also will provide some other choices and let you decide which case you want. If you already bought a bumper case Apple will refund you for it and if you're not satisfied with your iPhone you can return it within 30 days, undamaged, for a full refund. Information on the free case offer is suppsed to be on the Apple site next week.
You can watch a video of the press conference HERE.