Dolphin Tale is the story about a dolphin with the greatest gadget of all
You may have noticed I haven't been posting as much gadget news this week. That's because I have been busy working on a special video about the upcoming feature film, Dolphin Tale. The film is the story of Winter, a young dolphin who was rescued and brought to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium with an injured tail. As part of her rehabilitation she was fitted with the greatest gadget of all, a prosthetic tail. Her story has been an inspiration to people around the world.
The film is set to debut on Sept. 23. The video I produced this week features an introduction by our film critic, Steve Persall, an interview with David Yates, CEO of the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, and another with Cammie Zodrow, one of the Senior Marine Mammal Trainers there. The aquarium staff was kind enough to let me do some underwater video of Winter, and for that I used a GoPro Hero HD camera.
Leading up to the debut of the film there are all kinds of great web pages and links to social media feeds:
- Winter's Tale - The St. Petersburg Times/tampabay.com special report page with coverage back to 2006, when Winter was first rescued.
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium - Lots of local info, including how to visit Winter in person.
- Dolphin Tale - The official web site for the feature film, from Warner Bros. and Alcon Entertainment. Check out the live Winter web cam.
- Winter's Facebook Page - Lots of information and interaction, including a contest where you can win tickets to the red carpet premier.
- Tampabay.com's Facebook Page - Information about the different ways we will continue to cover Winter's story.
- @WinterDolphin - Winter's Twitter page.
- @Tampabaycom and @Thingstodotampa - Twitter pages for tampabay.com and thingstodo. Hashtag your Dolphin Tale and Winter tweets with #DolphinTaleSPT and your posts will appear on our exclusive special report page.
And to top it all off, Winter now has an app. The Dolphin Tale: Fling a Fish game from Warner Bros. is available for iOS and Android devices. There is a free, lite version and a premium version for $1.99, on both platforms. Fling some fish and feed Winter! Game play is the same for both but the premium version adds 23 more levels of play for a total of 30 levels. Watch for a separate review of the game next week, after I have some time to play.
This is a great, feel-good story with tons of fantastic content out there to share with your family. It may still be summer but it looks like we're getting Winter a little early this year.