NHL says it delivered a "new, comprehensive proposal" to players in CBA negotiations
The NHL appeared to make a significant move in an attempt to break the deadlocked negotiations with its players on a new collective bargaining agreement and delivered a new proposal Thursday afternoon.
"I can confirm that we delivered a new, comprehensive proposal for a successor CBA," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement released by the league. "We are not prepared to discuss the details of our proposal at this time. We are hopeful that once the Union's staff and negotiating committee have had the opportunity to thoroughly review and consider our new proposal, they will share it with the players. We want to be back on the ice as soon as possible."
A report in the Ottawa Sun said the league has targeted a Jan. 21 start date for the season. The Dallas Morning News reported a potential start date is Jan. 19. Assuming a seven to 10-day training camp and time to put paperwork together once a deal has been struck, you can count backwards to see how quickly a deal will have to be done. Some say it's by as early as Jan. 5.
As is typical in these things, several points in the NHL's proposal have leaked out. This according to Canada's Globe and Mail:
* The league apparently has increased from five to six years its proposed limits on contracts, though teams would still be able to re-sign their own free agents for seven years.
* The league proposed allowing one amnesty buyout in the summer of 2013 that would not count against the cap. Previously, the league had said no to this because that would be "money outside the system."
* The league increased from five to 10 percent an allowable year-to-year variance within contracts. That is to help protect against back-diving contracts. The players have offered a 25 percent high-low range.
The Players' Association has a 3 p.m. conference call to discuss the offer.