Hard to believe this woman -- who single-handedly proves here why MSNBC never should have given her and hubby Maury Povich a show to begin with -- once co-anchored a major network newscast...
- Eric Deggans,
Times media critic
Some have called Eric Deggans the most critical guy in St. Petersburg Times history -- mostly because he's held more critic's jobs than just about anyone else. Hired at the Times in 1995 as music critic, he decided after 13 months he was getting too old to dodge moshers at Marilyn Manson concerts and moved to television for nine years. Now, after 12 months on the editorial board, he's now critiquing media for the Times and learning how to work his wife's iPod.
Educated at Indiana University, with early jobs at the Pittsburgh Press and Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, Eric has earned a host of cool journalism war stories -- from interviewing Bruce Springsteen in a backstage bathroom to chasing down feature stories for the college newspaper under an editor who would go on to create FX's groundbreaking drama Nip/Tuck.
Always an expert at getting paid to do what many do for free, he has now finagled a job telling people what he thinks about TV news, newspapers, radio, the Internet and more. This space will be a fun, funky home for nuggets he couldn't fit into the newspaper columns and discussions that roam beyond the limits a newspaper page can handle. Along the way, Eric hopes to explore the ways media is both a mirror of society and catalyst for social change. And getting you into the discussion is Job One.
So, to mangle a line from his pal's FX show: Tell us what you don't like about the media...
- Dave Chappelle and Me: Two Brothers Meeting in a Pop Culture Whirlwind
- New Audience Measurement for TV Raises a Simple Question
- Blogging Revolution or Empty Gimmick? I'll Report, You Decide
- Alberto Just a Test Run for Hurricane-Focused News Media -- and Viewers
- If A Black Newspaper Uses the N-Word, Is It Still Wrong?
- Harry Shearer: Voice of the Simpsons Becomes Voice for Media Criticism
- Dateline, Sopranos, Strippers...Must be Tuesday in Florida
- CBS Learns From Unfortunate Precedent
- New Today Set Needs Some Tweaking
- Katie Leaves Today -- Finally