What Does It Means That TiVo Users' Top TV Mom of All Time Is Claire Huxtable?
Barack Obama should be heartened by the results of a recent poll released by TiVo, indicating that the favorite TV mom of all is The Cosby Show's Claire Huxtable, vaulting this classic mother of color ahead of traditional, white-bread icons such as Leave It to Beaver's June Cleaver and the Brady Bunch's Carol Brady.
Based on a survey of more than 1,000 TiVo users, the results may indicate a chance in the traditional picture of family suggested by television, expanding it a bit to include less than traditional families. Indeed, you don't have to look too far down this list to find Marge Simpson at Number 5, Family Guy's Lois Griffin at Number 12 and working class hero Roseanne at Number 15.
Still, I think the list is a bit lacking. With Mother's Day just three days away, here's five of the best TV moms TiVo missed, culled from a 2002 story I pulled together on the Best TV Moms of the New Millenium:
4. Debra Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond) - More than just the typical sitcom "hot mom," Patricia Heaton's Debra Barone can go toe to toe with husband Raymond's overbearing mother and spare enough compassion to help her daughter get over losing a pet hamster.
3. Lois (Malcolm in the Middle) - Surly, vindictive, bullying and aggressive, Jane Kaczmarek's Lois would be the worst mother in the world - if she wasn't such a perfect match for her equally dysfunctional family.
2. Florida Evans (Good Times) - Strong enough to raise a family of three kids in Chicago's toughest housing project, Esther Rolle's Florida still shone brightest when standing beside her proud, hardworking husband, James.
1. Sharon Osbourne (The Osbournes) - This mom and rock star manager may let her kids cuss up a storm and wear more piercings than a sideshow geek, but watch five minutes of MTV's reality hit and you'll have no doubt who runs the show in this family, on or off stage. How else do you think the Prince of Darkness avoided the career obscurity that has swallowed so many of his former bandmates?
Here's TiVo's Top TV Moms
1. Clair Huxtable: The Cosby Show 58%
2. Marion Cunningham: Happy Days 37%
3. Carol Brady: Brady Bunch 37%
4. June Cleaver: Leave it to Beaver 34%
5. Marge Simpson: The Simpsons 33%
6. Wilma Flintstone: The Flintstones 29%
7. Vivian Banks: Fresh Prince of Bel Air 27%
8. Caroline Ingalls: Little House on the Prairie 27%
9. Maggie Seaver: Growing Pains 25%
10. Marie Barone: Everybody Loves Raymond 24%
11. Peggy Bundy: Married With Children 23%
12. Lois Griffin: Family Guy 21%
13. Mrs. Partridge: The Partridge Family 22%
14. Lorelai Gilmore: The Gilmore girls 20%
15. Roseanne: Roseanne 20%
16. Carmella Soprano: The Sopranos 14%
17. Bree Van de Kamp: Desperate Housewives 14%
18. Norma Arnold: The Wonder Years 13%
19. Estelle Costanza: Seinfeld 13%
20. Lucille Bluth: Arrested Development 6%