Free stuff for Mother's Day
I have never hidden my deep love of free stuff. And come Mother's Day we hit the motherlode. There's lots of free stuff and free admissions being thrown at us moms, to which I say bring it on.
Free chocolates: First Watch restaurants, home of the award-winning breakfast, brunch and lunch (no dinnners, these are morning people) will once again pay tribute to moms on Mother’s Day by offering a complimentary box of Russell Stover Chocolates to mothers that dine at any of the company’s more than 90 restaurants on Sunday, May 13.
Free admission: You know what Mom always says: The best gift is just time with you. Well, dear child, we have a great way to give her that gift. Lots of local attractions are offering free entry for moms on Sunday with another paid admission.
- Lowry Park Zoo: Mom free Saturday and Sunday with the purchase of adult or child admission. $23.95, $21.95 seniors, $18.95 ages 3-11, 2 and younger free. 1101 W Sligh Ave., Tampa. (813) 935-8552.
- Henry B. Plant Museum: Free admission for mothers Sunday, but donation appreciated for everyone else. 401 W Kennedy Blvd., Tampa. (813) 254-1891.
- Florida Aquarium: Moms get in free with another paid admission Saturday and Sunday. $21.95, $18.95 seniors, $16.95 children under 12. 701 Channelside Drive, Tampa. (813) 273-4000.
- Dinosaur World: Free for moms on Sunday, when accompanied by a paid child admission. $14.95, $12.95 seniors, $11.95 children 3 to 12. 5145 Harvey Tew Road, Plant City. (813) 717-9865.
- Florida Railroad Museum: Moms can ride the train for a 1-mile trip to historic Willow at no charge. 12210 83rd St. E, Parrish. 1-877-869-0800. 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday.
- Glazer Children's Museum: All moms will receive free admission on Sunday. The Museum is also holding an arts and crafts activity that day where children can create and wrap a special gift for mom.
Mango Momma Wine for Mother’s Day
Treat Mom to award-winning fruit-based and sparkling wines, wine-based smoothies and hors d’oeuvres at Mother’s Day sampling. Adults only. Free (registration required). Florida Orange Groves and Winery, 1500 Pasadena Ave. S, St. Petersburg. (727) 347-4025. 1:30-3:30 p.m. Saturday.
Mommy & Me date
Pollo Tropical patrons can pamper their mom with the two-can-dine for $9.99 Mother's Day special. You get two entrees including a choice of a small Create Your Own TropiChop or Quarter Chicken meal with rice and beans, two regular size fountain drinks and a regular side order of yuca sticks, sweet plantains or tostones. This deal will be available from store opening to close time on Sunday, May 13 at all
Pollo Tropical restaurants.
Moms and Mimosas
If you’re a mom, or have a mom, and are over 21, come out for a free mimosa in honor of Mother’s Day. Free. Singing Stone, 1903 N 19th St., Tampa. (813) 247-2787. 6-9 p.m. Saturday.
Mother’s Day Belly Casting Workshop
Belly Bliss will show expectant mothers how to work with a partner to transform their growing “baby bump” into a unique Mother’s Day gift and maternity keepsake. $40, $20 if you bring your own materials. Thank You Mama, 1511 Fourth St. N, St. Petersburg. (813) 789-9097. 3-5 p.m. Saturday.
Mother’s Day Dine
A buffet with Sesame Street character meet and greets and a treat for Mom. $22, $15 children. Park admission required. Busch Gardens, 3605 Bougainvillea Ave., Tampa. Toll-free 1-888-800-5447. 12:30-1:30 p.m. Sunday.
Spring Rose Show
The “Roses for Mama” show and salute to mother’s includes exhibitors with hundreds of blooming roses, workshops, rose arrangements, growing tips and a rose information station. Free. Westfield Citrus Park, 8021 Citrus Park Town Center, Tampa. (727) 392-8326. 1-9 p.m. Saturday.
Sun Coast Mother’s Day Fun Fest
Includes live music, children’s activities, health tips, lifestyle demonstrations, clowns, jugglers, a magician and a children’s play area with inflatable jumpers, miniature train rides through the park and a commemorative photo booth. Free. Largo Central Park, 101 Central Park Drive, Largo. (727) 483-0661. Noon-3:30 p.m. Sunday.
I Love Mother’s Day 5K
For all types of runners. Baby joggers welcome. Post-race hot breakfast. $5-$18. John Chesnut Sr. Park, 2200 East Lake Road, Palm Harbor. (813) 495-1251. 8 a.m. Sunday.
The Great Mother’s Day Race
Run to celebrate Mother’s Day and start or continue an active lifestyle. $28. Al Lopez Park, 4810 N Himes Ave., Tampa. (571) 277-7273. 9 a.m. Sunday.
Mom’s Night Out: On the Pole
Wear comfortable work out clothes and high heels, or bare feet, for a strenuous session of exotic pole fitness. Proceeds from donations benefit the Spring of Tampa Bay. Pay what you can. Impulse Studio Pole Fitness, 6346 Fourth St. N, St. Petersburg. (813) 325-1990. 7-9 p.m. Saturday.
--Sharon Kennedy Wynne
Follow us on Twitter @WhoaMomma