Love this: Kids create a band from trash pile
I'm just enchanted by these four ninth graders from Sarasota who have crafted instruments from recycled materials to spread an eco-friendly message as they perform under the name The Garbage Men. They are now touring science museums, and will be showing off their skills at MOSI on Sunday. Check out this YouTube video taken by a fan at one of their street shows
I especially love the tuba made of PVC and a traffic cone. That's a clever kid there. And their sound isn't bad considering their guitars are made of cereal boxes and rubber bands!
You can see them yourself at Tampa's Museum of Science and Industry on this Sunday, July 17 from 11 a.m. to noon and from 1-2 p.m., 4801 E Fowler Ave. Tampa.
They are there on what's turning out to be very busy day at MOSI. To celebrate the 6th birthday of the Kids in Charge area on Sunday there will be:
- Free samples of Blue Bell Ice Cream (noon to 2 p.m. Sunday) or enter an ice cream-eating competition all in honor of National Ice Cream Day.
- Also, MOSI’s InterActors will get into the science behind it with a cryo-freezing demonstration, using liquid nitrogen in the lobby. The retail store will feature freeze-dried astronaut ice cream.
- Keeping the Beat Birthday Bash at MOSI -- Dance, jump and learn about rhythm, sound waves and tone while you help celebrate the 6th birthday of Kids In Charge 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday.
- Planetarium Birthday Party -- Celebrate the birthday of Saunders Planetarium and come out to see the stars that surround Earth and discover other shining planets in these hourly planetarium shows. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Summer Fun in the IDEA Zone -- Turn your imagination into a reality in this do-it-yourself laboratory for children and adults. Activities include high-tech gaming, simulations, fashion design, robot building and science experiments. This weekend features “Lego Builders.” Piece together buildings, cars and everything else. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday.
All included with MOSI admission: $20.95 adults (13-59), $16.95 child (2-12), $18.95 seniors (60+). 4801 E Fowler Ave., Tampa. (813) 987-6000.
--Sharon Kennedy Wynne
Follow us on Twitter @WhoaMomma