No more glass bottles for medicine!
We didn't need this. After being up at 2 a.m. rocking and comforting and giving Motrin and cleaning puke off the crib sheet of my feverish, croupy 2-year-old, this was the thing that made me ultimately want to crawl under the crib and assume a fetal position.
My husband wasn't home two seconds with the $95 antibiotic when the bag containing the glass bottle of medicine fell on the tile floor, sending glass shards and sticky white syrup everywhere.
I thought hubby was going to jump out of his skin as he saw the bag fall and couldn't move in time to stop it. He packed up the broken bottle and receipt and headed back to throw himself on the mercy of the drug store.
It was a nightmare. The drug store had to call the doctor to authorize a new prescription, even though it was obvious we hadn't used a drop of it. For some reason, a nurse wouldn't do. And as luck would have it, all the docs were at lunch. At the same time. Also, the pharmacy wasn't sure the insurance company would cover the replacement.
My question is this: We can put a man on the moon, we can put everything from soda to mouthwash to antifreeze to bleach to drain opener in plastic containers. But why does this medicine have to be in a glass bottle? Accidents happen. Sleep-deprived parents drop things. You'd think the manufacturer would have figured out a way to use more forgiving packaging.
It took a half hour of waiting until their lunch ended, but fortunately the docs were understanding. They called in the same drug, but in a different concentration. As a result, it sailed through the insurance claim process. What could have been a $95 mistake turned into a $10 one.
But not without a ton of stress. I think I'll go shopping for my hair dye now, to cover the new gray ones. Sure hope there's nothing glass in that box.
-- Times mom