Road trip final tally
Our 10-day trip to Frankfort, Mich., is over. A fabulous trip, if only a few hiccups. Here's the tally:
* Nearly 2,400 miles of travel.
* One fever, two severe colds. Both girls endured without antibiotics and were better by Day 5.
* One chance meeting with the National Cherry Festival Queen (Thanks, Megan!)
* Four "Harry Potter" books started and finished by my 7-year-old.
* Too many tantrums to count by my 2-year-old. I blame her cold, the sun not setting until 10 p.m. up there and her just being 2.
* Many days of gorgeous weather, even chilly weather. Only a few days were right for shorts!
* Oh, and one broken bone.
Yes, embarrassingly, I broke the cardinal rule of any household and raced my 7-year-old across the house toward her upstairs bedroom. As I savored the chance to finally beat her, I scooted down the hall in total glee, made the turn for the stairs and SMACK! My foot caught the wall. Here's my X-ray. If you can see the broken bone, let me know. I can't see it, but I sure can feel it and my limp is a pure giveaway. At least I don't need crutches anymore. It's good to be home.
-- Amy Hollyfield