Tips for waiting in lines with kids
Now that we are in the heart of theme park season, we also are in the throes of keeping kids entertained as they wait in those long snaking lines to get on a roller coaster or have creepy animatronic animals or dolls sing and swing overhead.
We polled our Whoa, Momma! bloggers for their tips on passing the time, and not all of these require advance planning:
• When the kids get antsy, pull out a couple of those battery powered mini fans with the soft foam blades that you can pick up for a $1. They cool us off, and for some reason kids find these endlessly entertaining. It helps that they make a fart sound when you stop the soft blade on your cheek. (Why are all body sounds hilarious at any age?) Just be careful around long hair. Little girls have been known to get their hair caught in the motor.
• Pack little bags of trail mix or other treats in your bag to keep them occupied. Longer lasting treats like lollipops or bubble gum do well in lines.
• Break out a little notebook and pens so that they can draw, write, play Hangman or Tic Tac Toe.
• Give the kids a disposable camera and let them snap silly pictures of one another or of mom and dad. That will keep them occupied for a while.
• Play games like I Spy or Simon Says.
• Those ubiquitous Silly Bandz come in handy in a long line. Most kids have an armload of them these days. Take them off and started talking about them and you may soon spark a round of trading and comparing among others waiting around you.
~ Sharon Kennedy Wynne
Follow us on Twitter @WhoaMomma