Trick or treat fun -- at the mall!
With Halloween just three days out, you really want to start plotting your course. Will you let the kids trick or treat in your neighborhood, hang out with friends or keep your princes and princesses at home? For those Mommas with little ones, you might opt to do your trick or treating at the mall. And if you do, you can do some good as well.
University Mall in Tampa and Magic 94.9-FM have teamed up with Metropolitan Ministries to collect food while the kids trick or treat at the mall. Children in costume can trick or treat from 5-7 p.m. Friday and the first 400 children to bring in a non-perishable food item will get a goodie bag from Magic 94.9. The Trick-or-Treat So Others May Eat program will be held in the mall's center court and will include more than 100 stores passing out candy. Parents and children are also invited to get their picture taken with the Chick-fil-A cow in the Food Court from 6-7 p.m. And don't forget about the soft, pirate-themed play area that opened in the mall earlier this month.
Westfield Citrus Park in Tampa and America's Second Harvest are inviting boys and ghouls to Scare Away Hunger by bringing one non-perishable food item to the mall's concierge Friday during trick-or-treat at the mall from 5-8 p.m. All food collected will go to local families in the bay area. A door decal will point your little goblins to the stores that are handing out treats.
Many other bay area malls are also offering trick-or treat goodies to children on Halloween:
* At Westfield Brandon Shopping Centre, kids 12 and under can collect candy from participating shops from 6-8 p.m. No masks allowed.
* Kids ages 12 and under can get candy from the concierge desk and participating stores at Westfield Countryside in Clearwater rom 5-8 p.m. Masks are only allowed for tots ages 5 and under.
* At Tyrone Square Mall in St. Petersburg, children can trick or treat from 6-8 p.m. Friday. And as an added bonus, the mall is showing Casper and Friends Trick or Treat on its network of plasma screens at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. through Oct. 31.
* West Shore Plaza in Tampa is making trick or treat an all-day event. Bring your kids by in costume throughout the day to pick up treats from participating stores.
* No age or costume limitations at Seminole Mall. Kids can visit stores from 5-8 p.m. Friday.
Although it’s not a mall, Publix Super Markets are having trick or treat from 4-7 p.m. Take the kids by in costume to pick up some goodies.
And if you hear of other bay area malls that are letting kids trick or treat, please let us know. We'd love to hear from you.
Finally, when you are having all your Halloween fun, remember to share your photos. We would love to see how cute your little bumblebee or pumpkin is.
-- Sherry Robinson