Scattered Clouds78° WeatherScattered Clouds78° Weather

Cobb released from hospital Sunday, in good spirits

16

June

Update 3:20 p.m. The Rays said RHP Alex Cobb has been released from Bayfront Medical Center and is heading home.

Developing: The Rays say righthander Alex Cobb, struck with a line drive during Saturday's game, is scheduled to be released from the hospital today, but not expected back at the ballpark.

Cobb suffered a mild concussion, and was treated for an issue with draining in his right ear, but all tests came back normal, the team said. Cobb will go on the 7-day concussion disabled list, with RHP Josh Lueke called up.

The Rays say there's no timetable on Cobb's return, but they're all relieved with how good he feels - and sounds.

LHP Matt Moore said 10-15 players - including Royals RHP James Shields, INF Elliot Johnson and 1B Eric Hosmer (who hit the line drive) - visited Cobb at the hospital last night. They said he seemed "normal" and joking around, despite likely being in some pain.

Hosmer said it made him feel a lot better to see Cobb okay, and said the righthander jokingly ribbed him at at least he got him out on the play. Moore said they told Cobb they're petitioning for him to get the win, drawing a smile.

The fact there have been two similar incidents - J.A. Happ getting struck with a line drive last month - on the same mound this year have increased discussion and urgency among players to have the proper protection for pitchers on the mound. Moore said seeing Cobb get hit was the "scariest thing" in baseball, and as a player rep, believes there will be many willing to wear protection, even if it's an "Elmer Fudd" looking hat.

Veteran Jamey Wright said he just hopes it doesn't take someone losing their life on the mound to spark change.

 

[Last modified: Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:21pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...