Live from Nashville: Mid-Monday report
The biggest news today has been the Rays agreeing to terms with 1B James Loney on a one-year deal for a reported $2-million, with another $1-million in incentives.
Here are some other developments of interest:
* The Yankees will be without 3B Alex Rodriguez potentially into June or later with reports that he needs surgery on his hip, which will be done ine January. With Derek Jeter also coming off surgery, the Yankees are looking for infield help, and are among the teams said to be pursuing Rays free agent Jeff Keppinger.
* The Red Sox agreed to terms with Mike Napoli, who will play 1B and catch, on a 3-year, $39-million contract.
* Rays closer Fernando Rodney, who was rumored to be looking to change agents, went ahead and did so, switching from ACES to Dan Lozano, who has some big-time clients such as Albert Pujols.
* The Rangers re-signed C Geovany Soto, who they non-tendered, eliminating an option for the Rays as they seek help behind the plate.
* C Bobby Wilson, of Seminole High, has received interest from several teams after being non-tendered by Toronto, but not the Rays. His reps will assess options by the end of the week.