Live from Port Charlotte: Reporting day report
The Rays are set to open spring training today with all 38 pitchers and catchers expected to check in in advance of Tuesday's first official workout.
After an off-season in which they improved their offense and maintained their pitching and defense core, the Rays open camp with a sense of optimism. "We've got a good team over here,'' veteran starter James Shields said. "We've got a really good team. I'm excited about it. We've got a good pitching staff. Everything is right in line for success. We've just to go right out there and execute it.''
Among the reporting day scenes:
* Manager Joe Maddon walking through the complex sporting a Rockford Files t-shirt, and humming the theme song.
* Matt Moore's locker for his first big-league spring training camp is next to Shields, just like Chris Archer is next to Price.
* Carlos Pena gets the corner locker used previously by Pat Burrell and then Johnny Damon. Jose Molina gets the three-locker suite that was used previously by Troy Percival, Rafael Soriano and Manny Ramirez.
* LHP J.P. Howell lost weight and shaved his long hair, sporting a modified buzz cut.
* RHP Kyle Farnsworth said his right elbow feels good but he will pay closer attention during the season to avoid any issues.