Longoria on pitching, Rio, and CC
Evan Longoria talked about his off-season and the coming season for quite a while after today's workout, and shared some interesting thoughts:
* He really likes the Rays rotation: "Our starting 5 pitchers are the best starting 5 that anybody could put together. They might not be the marquee names of Major League Baseball, but stuff-wise, mentally and the way they go about their work they're as best there is in this game.''
* He was in Rio and didn't know he won Gold Glove until getting an e-mail from a friend, than another from his agent. He enjoyed Rio, but said "I'll take a Gold Glove anyday.''
* The addition of closer Rafael Soriano was "the huge move for us.''
* He considers Carl Crawford "the face" of the team and "the best leftfielder in the game.'' He also doesn't think pending free agency for Crawford, Carlos Pena and others
will be a distraction during the season.
* He bought a house in Scottsdale, Ariz.
* He also vacationed in London, attending the Bucs-Patriots game.
* He plans to continue being a leader by example and not be overly outspoken.
* He expects the Rays to play with a lot of intensity from the beginning of the season as manager Joe Maddon stresses a quick start.