Morning update: S-Rod close to return, Shields on haircut list, Price touting Vandy, cuts coming
UPDATE, 10:10: And a couple others:
* The first round of cuts is coming "soon" Maddon said as they want players they know are headed to the minors regular action.
* Maddon said they are looking today at what is their likely alignment against lefty starters, with Jeff Keppinger at second and Ben Zobrist in right. (Matt Joyce would likely be on the bench, though today he is the DH.)
* About 20 others are expected to join Maddon in having their heads shaved on Thusday. "I'm looking foward to it,'' Maddon said.
BREAKING: A couple of early morning notes from Rays camp:
* INF Sean Rodriguez said his sprained left index finger has gotten much better, that he hit flipped balls on Sunday, plans to take batting practice today and expects to return to game action on Tuesday.
* RHP James Shields has joined the list of players who will have their heads shaved on Thursday to raise money for pediatric cancer. Others who signed up include Matt Moore, Wade Davis, Matt Joyce, Sam Fuld, Cesar Ramos, Elliot Johnson, Brandon Gomes, Jake McGee, Alex Cobb, Stephen Vogt. Also a couple of players who already have their heads shaved signed up to support the cause Craig Albernaz and Dane De La Rosa. To make a donation, text CUT to 50555 or go to pcfcutforacure.org .
* LHP David Price is proudly wearing his Vandy cap around the clubhouse this morning after the Commodores beat Kentucky to win the SEC tournament on Sunday. "Nothing out of the norm,'' Price cracked.
* LHP Matt Moore said he was excited to make his first spring appearance on Tuesday, having fully recovered from the mild abdominal strain that kept him off the mound for eight days.