Package deal?: Rays pick Beckham's brother, too
Looks like the Rays cap just became an even more popular one in the Beckham household.
Tampa Bay took prep shortstop Tim Beckham with their No. 1 overall pick Thursday. And one of their most interesting selections in the draft's second day was Beckham's older brother Jeremy, a speedy senior infielder at Georgia Southern, who was taken in the 17th round.
Fittingly, it was Jeremy who was a big reason why Tim stuck with baseball when he was around 11 years old and thinking about focusing on basketball, like his friends.
"When I was 11 through 14, my love for the game kind of went away," Tim Beckham said. "I was playing basketball, concentrating on basketball. Then my older brother (Jeremy) told me I could make some money at this game, I was blessed with talent and skills to make money in this game at a young age, so I took that into consideration, and kept working hard."
The two siblings celebrated Wednesday together on Tim's big day. Now they'll join the same Rays farm system.
Jeremy has played both second and shortstop, and known for his speed on the basepaths (24-of-29 this past season).
Here's the Rays draftees on day two so far, including 10 left-handed pitchers and two former Long Beach State standouts (a former teammate of Longoria's, OF Jason Corder)
Day Two Picks:
7. Jason Corder, OF, Long Beach State Univ.
8. Anthony Scelfo, 2B, Tulane Univ.
9. Shawn Smith, LHP, Saugus (CA) HS
10. Matthew Hall, SS, Auburn Univ.
11. Bradley Furdal, RHP, Ancaster (Ontario, Can.) HS
12. Brian Bryles, OF, North Little Rock (AR) HS
13. Jason McEachern, RHP, St. Stephens (NC) HS
14. Michael McKenna, OF, Florida Atlantic Univ.
15. Brandon Meredith, OF, Montgomery (CA) HS
16. Matthew Gorgen, RHP, Univ. California Berkeley.
17. Jeremy Beckham, 2B, Georgia Southern Univ.
18. David Genao, C, Oral Roberts Univ.
19. Trevor Shull, RHP, Central Valley (WA) HS
20. Jason Tweedy, 2B, Long Beach State Univ.
21. Ryan Carpenter, LHP, Cactus (AZ) HS
22. Jason Appel, OF, UNC Wilmington
23. Neil Schenk, LHP, Univ. of Memphis
24. Marquis Fleming, LHP, Cal State Stanislaus
25. Joshua Satow, LHP, Arizona State Univ.
26. Michael Jarman, LHP, Oral Roberts Univ.
27. Luis Marchena, SS, Otay Ranch (CA) HS
28. Thomas Rafferty, RHP, Arizona State Univ.
29. Brandon Magee, OF, Centennial (CA) HS
30. Ryan Turner, RHP, Midland College (TX)
31. Gregory Williams, LHP, Moeller (OH) HS
32. Kyle Gaedele, OF, Rolling Meadows (IL) HS
33. Kyle Hunter, LHP, Galesburg (IL) HS
34. Matthew Long, RHP, Cal State San Bernardino
35. James Bagley, RHP, San Jacinto College North (TX)
36. Jordan Leyland, 1B, San Dimas (CA) HS
37. Kramer Champlin, RHP, Olympia (WA) HS
38. Anthony Haase, RHP, Rio Rancho (NM) HS
39. Andrew Gans, OF, Coronado (NV) HS
40. Sam Gaviglio, RHP, Ashland (OR) HS
41. Brett Parsons, 1B, Navarro College (TX)
42. Timothy Clubb, RHP, Missouri State Univ.
43. Robert Ross, LHP, Saddleback CC (CA)
44. Phil Pohl, C, Cooperstown Central (NY) HS
45. Royce Bolinger, RF, Chaparral (AZ) HS
46. Jeffrey Lease, LHP, American River College (CA)
47. Christopher Matulis, LHP, Park Vista Community (FL) HS
48. Charles Guyer, RHP, Mercer University (GA)
49. Kash Kalkowski, RHP, Grand Island (NE) HS
50. Kyle Peterson, C, Hamilton (AZ) HS
-- JOE SMITH