Rodney says no extension talks - but he'd be open
In what continues to be a bit of mystery, Rays closer Fernando Rodney said this morning there have been no talks with the Rays about an extension, though he would be open to one if possible. Rodney was quoted on two different occasions in the last month saying he was close to a new deal with the Rays, but said Wednesday though comments were misconstrued.
"I never said that, this guy put something like that in the paper, I nevert talked to this guy (before), I don't who this guy is. I never said that,'' Rodney said. "Maybe I said I'm going to try to get some kind of extension, but I didn't say I'm going to get two years, three years, whatever was in there. I never said that.''
Both the Rays and Rodney's agent said there had been no talks, and asked again Wednesday if there had been any negotiations, Rodney said, "I don't think so.''
But Rodney, who will be a bargain at $2.5-million this season, would be open to listening.
"Yes, I'd like to stay here,'' he said. "Maybe if I had the chance to get an extension I'll take it. I have to keep working and see what happens.''
Also, he still plans to pitch in the WBC for the Dominican Republic team.