Light Rain72° WeatherLight Rain72° Weather

Ruggiano among 11 Rays sent down

24

March

UPDATE, 3:15: Ruggiano was disappointed but took the news relatively well.

"I feel like I’m leaving here with my head up and knowing confidently that I’m ready, I’m ready for the next step and I’m ready to stay. I respect the Rays decision but hopefully the next time it’s more of an opportunity to stay and help out on a regular basis whether it’s a backup role or as a regular outfielder,'' he said. "I’m disappointed. Regardless of whether I knew it was going to happen or not I’m just disappointed. But at the same time it’s not going to be something like I took last year where I was disappointed and I let it show in my play. I’m going to take off a day or two and clear my mind, but I want to take the same energy and same attitude that I had here down to Triple-A even though it’s a totally different atmosphere and more of a mental grind. But I’m going to take the same aggressive attitude."

DEVELOPING: OF Justin Ruggiano, despite hitting .447, was among 11 players sent down by the Rays today in the largest cut of the spring. 



Ruggiano was impressive the entire camp, but the Rays simply don't have room for him, not with Gabe Kapler as the right-handed hitting extra outfielder. Yet depending on the final roster configuraton, they may end up using INF Sean Rodriguez at times in rightfield.

INF/OF Dan Johnson also was told he won't make it, and since he's out of options he's likely on waivers now and could end up in Triple-A Durham

[Last modified: Friday, April 23, 2010 12:15am]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...