Some more trade tidbits
Just got off conference calls with players in the deal and talked with manager Joe Maddon.
Here are a few tidbits., with more to come later and in Tuesday's paper:
* OF Wil Myers, who turned 22 today, said "It's been quite a birthday.'' Myers is in South Carolina visiting friends and said "right now I haven't gotten anything for my birthday yet except a new team.'' Myers says he'll be a little nervous going to spring, is excited for opportunity, and will do best to let team decide where he plays. And while he likes hitting home runs, his goal is to be of an all-around player. And if you were wondering, he said he has always been Wil with 1 L and "there's no great story" behind it
* RHP Jake Odorizzi, who had a two-game September stint with the Royals, said he "definitely" feels ready for majors, "going to come in, try to do best I can and leave the decison to front office." He too is excited to join the Rays and is eager to show in spring training what he can do.
* RHP James Shields gets a $750,000 "assignment bonus" that will be paid by the Royals. He said on a conference call with KC media that he is excited by the opportunity there.
* RHP Wade Davis said he wasn't that surprised to be traded and is looking forward to getting back to starting.
* Odorizzi and LHP Mike Montgomery are added to the Rays 40-man roster, which stands at 39. Myers is not yet required to be added unless he's going to play in the big leagues.