Some tidbits from the Trop: RH hitters, Price's dog, etc.
David Price with his French Bulldog, Astro. (SCOTT KEELER | Times)
Some tidbits from the Trop as workers are taking off the tarps and finding memories of 2008 in the upper deck seats:
* Manager Joe Maddon gave some thought to using more of his left-handed hitters against Rangers LHP Cliff Lee, but said he probably will stick with the right-handers, meaning Kelly Shoppach will catch instead of John Jaso, and Ben Zobrist will play right and Sean Rodriguez second instead of Matt Joyce. What sounds undecided as of this afternoon is whether lefty Dan Johnson or switch-hitter Willy Aybar will be the DH.
* Nearly a dozen players were around, as Lance Cormier and Jake McGee threw off the mound under simulated game conditions, with Reid Brignac, Johnson, Rodriguez and Nevin Ashley hitting against him.
* The Rays expressed plenty of confidence in Game 5 starter LHP David Price. "He's the guy that I want out there tomorrow,'' 3B Evan Longoria said. "At this point of the year, he's been our workhorse the whole year, and maybe not the leader of the staff, so to speak, but he's been our best guy throughout the course of the year."
* LHP David Price running in Trop outfield w/his dog, Astro. Looks like Price had to do a little "clean-up" on the warning track, and got no help from the bullpen.
* Julianna Zobrist, wife of INF/OF Ben, will sing the anthem for Game 5.
* Gates will open at 5 p.m. (3 hours before first pitch) and the parking lots will open at 2 p.m. (6 hours before).