UPDATED: Live from Port Charlotte: Day One
UPDATE, 1:27: The first day went well, manager Joe Maddon said, with the pitchers looking to be in good shape and good form.
* Among those Maddon singled out were Mike Montgomery, Roberto Hernandez, Enny Romero and that David Price guy. Also Jeff Niemann, who said he felt healthy and strong and ready to compete for a job.
* Peralta - who, in one of those weird spring injuries, hurt his neck getting out of his rental car to pick up some sandwiches on the way to the field Tuesday - should only miss a couple days.
* Price said he felt good throwing, and Niemann joked his was probably his best first-day bullpen session.
UPDATE, 10:13: The first workout of the spring is underway, and here are a few early morning notes:
* Closer Fernando Rodney reported to camp saying there had been no talks about an extenstion with the Rays, and that he was misunderstood (on two occasions) by reporters in the last month who quoted him as saying he had one in the works. Rodney said he would be open to one. Also, he still plans to pitch for the Dominican Republic team in the WBC and feels it could help him during the season. Also, he will bring back his now-famous post-game "arrow" shoot, with plans to teach new 1B James Loney the proper tracking techniques.
* INF/OF Ben Zobrist, INF Kelly Johnson and OFs Matt Joyce and Desmond Jennings were among the position players reporting early.
* RHP Joel Peralta is likely to skip his bullpen session today, and me be set back a few days, as he has an extremely stiff neck.
* All the pitchers and catchers appeared to be here expect for Juan Sandoval and Dane De La Rosa, both expected to arrive today.
* Jennings, a huge Crimson Tide football fan, showed up in an Alabama national champs T-shirt and sweatshirt, that he's worn pretty much every day since. Also a Falcons hat, but that he said, was "just for the color.''
DEVELOPING: The Rays formally open their fifth spring in Port Charlotte, and their 16th overall, this morning with a workout for most of the 42 pitchers and catchers.
Manager Joe Maddon usually addresses the group before they get started on a 2 1/2-hour session.
Among those scheduled to throw today are David Price, Jeff Niemann, Fernado Rodney, Joel Peralta and Roberto Hernandez.
The only pitchers not expected to participate are Juan Sandoval and Dane De La Rosa, and they are supposed to arrive today.
There's also a small group of early-reporting position players, including Evan Longoria, who will work out. The first day for the full squad is Sunday.