Friday morning report: Price happy, Hanigan eager, Colome ready
It's reporting day for the Rays, with the 40 pitchers and catchers expected to check in today in advance of Saturday's first official workout.
Many, if not most, are already here, many working out this morning.
A couple of quick morning notes:
* LHP David Price has been here working out for several days, but did a group interview Friday and made it clear that he definitely expected to be traded during the off-season and is quite thrilled that was not: "I'm the happiest person to be in Port Charlotte.''
* New C Ryan Hanigan is excited to get to work with the Rays pitcher, having spent a couple weeks in St. Petersburg during informal workouts and spending extensive time watching video of the Rays pitchers.
* RHP Alex Colome, who was shut down in late June due to elbow issues, said extensive rest helped and he is eager to compete for the opening in the rotation caused by Jeremy Hellickson's elbow surgery: "I'm ready to go.''
* Veteran LHP Erik Bedard was signing to a minor-league deal and is expected to report to camp today. RHP Nate Karns, acquired Thursday from Washington, is also expected.
* Manager Joe Maddon and executive VP Andrew Friedman will hold their annual pre-spring media session today, but in a unique setting, in front of Maddon's new 40-foot RV, which was moved temporarily to the Charlotte Sports Park. Maddon is spending the spring living in the RV at an area camp.