Live from Port Charlotte: Busy day before Rays get busy
The day before the official start or spring training is a busy one here in Port Charlotte.
• Senior vice presidents Chaim Bloom and Erik Neander and manager Kevin Cash will hold their pre-spring media session at 12:30 p.m., answering questions about their off-season moves, plans to move Brad Miller from 1B to 2B and the hottest spring competitions among others.
• Pitchers and catchers are all expected in camp today and most are undergoing their physical exams, so there's lots of locker room talk about needles and the like.
• Several more position players have also arrived, including new OF Mallex Smith, infield prospects Daniel Robertson and Casey Gillaspie, and OF Corey Dickerson, who had been working out at the Trop.
• Prospect RHP Jake Faria, who was scolded by Chris Archer at the start of last year's camp for not being early enough, said he made sure to be at the park well ahead of schedule: "I pulled up before the clubbies were here and had to leave because the doors were locked so I went to get some breakfast.''
• The schedule for Tuesday's opening workout was posted, with RHPs Alex Cobb and Jake Odorizzi and LHPs Blake Snell and Xavier Cedeno among those slated to throw.
• Archer has the early leading candidate for tweet of the day:
Day 1 thoughts... Broadcasting is cool & all but I don't want to be in the booth in October this year. I want to still be playing. Go time!— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) February 13, 2017