More on Lobaton's blast
A series of notes compiled by the Rays on Jose Lobaton's walkoff homer:
* Jose Lobaton became the first player in postseason history to hit a 2-out, walk-off home run in an elimination game...in both cases, the Red Sox won out to win the series...overall, it was the 13th walk-off HR in a postseason elimination game.
Bill Mazeroski, PIT Game 7, 1960 WS vs. NYY R. Terry
Carlton Fisk, BOS Game 6, 1975 WS vs. CIN P. Darcy
Chris Chambliss, NYY Game 5, 1976 ALCS vs. KC M. Littell
George Vukovich, PHI Game 4, 1981 NLDS vs. MTL J. Reardon
Steve Garvey, SD Game 4, 1984 NLCS vs. CHC L. Smith
Kirby Puckett, MIN Game 6, 1991 WS vs. ATL C. Liebrandt
Trot Nixon, BOS Game 3, 2003 ALDS vs. OAK R. Harden
Aaron Boone, NYY Game 7, 2003 ALCS vs. BOS T. Wakefield
David Ortiz, BOS Game 4, 2004 ALCS vs. NYY P. Quantrill
Jim Edmonds, STL Game 6, 2004 NLCS vs. HOU D. Miceli
David Freese, STL Game 6, 2011 WS vs. TEX M. Lowe
Jayson Werth, WAS Game 4, 2012 NLDS vs. STL L. Lynn
Jose Lobaton, TB Game 3, 2013 ALDS vs. BOS K. Uehara
* Last night C Jose Lobaton delivered a walk-off homer
into the Rays Touch Tank, becoming the first Rays player ever to homer
into the tank and the third player overall since it was installed in 2006...the
others were DET Miguel Cabrera (June 30, 2013) and LAD Luis Gonzalez
(June 24, 2007)...as promised back in 2006, the Rays will make a $10,000
donation when a Rays player homers into the tank: $5,000 to a charity of the
player's choice and $5,000 to the Florida Aquarium (caretakers of the tank).
ÊÊ Before landing in the tank, the ball deflected off the glove of a fan
wearing a No. 29 Dan Johnson jersey.
* Jose Lobaton has 9 career homers in the regular season...the last player with fewer career homers at the time of his postseason walk-off was HOU Chris Burke, who had 5 at the time of his 18th inning NLDS winner in 2005 vs. Atlanta.
* RH Koji Uehara had gone 142 consecutive batters since allowing his
last home run, June 30 vs. TOR (Jose Bautista)...prior to Lobaton's
homer, he had also allowed only 1 ER in 41.1 IP since that date.
* Lobaton's homer came on the 45th splitter he had seen in his career,
but his first hit...the previous 44 resulted in 9 outs and one walk.