More on Wil Myers' big day
From the Rays PR staff, here are a few more notes on rookie Wil Myers' big Saturday at Yankee Stadium:
With a grand slam off CC Sabathia yesterday, Myers became:
* the 4th visiting player all-time to hit a grand slam at Yankee Stadium (new or original) for his first ML home run, first since DET Ricky Peters on May 27, 1980. The others were WAS pitcher Camilo Pascual on Aug 14, 1960 and DET pitcher Zeb Eaton on July 15, 1945.
* the 5th player all-time whose first career home run was a grand slam off a Cy Young Award winner…oddly, 3 of the prev. 4 to do were pitchers: MIN Danny Valencia (July 26, 2010 at KC off Zack Greinke), SEA Felix Hernandez (June 23, 2008 at NYM off Johan Santana), CHC Burt Hooton (Sep 16, 1972 at NYM off Tom Seaver) and WAS Camilo Pascual (Aug 14, 1960 at NYY off Bob Turley).
* the 187th player all-time to hit a grand slam as his first home run. The list includes MIL Tim Unroe on May 13, 1997 at SEA off Norm Charlton; Tim is the father of the Rays 2013 2nd-round draft choice SS Riley Unroe.
* at 22 years, 194 days, the youngest player to hit a grand slam at Yankee Stadium (new or original, Yankees
or visitors) since SEA Ken Griffey Jr. (21 yrs, 244 days) on July 23, 1991.
* the 2nd Ray to hit a grand slam as his first ML home run, joining INF Jorge Verlandia on Sep 25, 2007 vs. NYY off Brian Bruney.
* the first visiting rookie to hit a grand slam at Yankee Stadium (new or original) since SEA Carlos Guillen on Aug 7, 2000 and the first visiting rookie to have 3 hits and a grand slam at Yankee Stadium since CLE Enrique Wilson on Sep 21, 1998.
* the 3rd Rays rookie to hit a grand slam, joining Evan Longoria in 2008 and Steve Cox in 2000.
* the first Ray to have 6 RBI in his first 6 major league games.