Selig: Rays stadium issue still at impasse
From some - but not all - Sunday print editions:
By MARC TOPKIN
ST. LOUIS - Commissioner Bud Selig said there have been no breakthroughs in the stalled talks on the Rays stadium situation, and he plans to talk soon with principal owner Stuart Sternberg to determine the next step.
"It's a situation that needs correction; there's no other way to put it," Selig said Saturday before Game 3 of the World Series. "It's a marvelous organization, competitive every year, and to be last in attendance, you have to be concerned.
"There's nothing startlingly new about that. It's a problem, and we need to solve that problem."
St. Petersburg and team officials had been talking and were believed to be close to a deal that would allow the Rays to consider potential sites in Tampa. But those talks stalled in August, and Selig said then he would consider appointing an MLB representative to get involved in the discussions.
Selig said Saturday that he had not yet decided on appointing an emissary and hadn't yet plotted a course of action.
"I don't know - Stu and I are going to talk some more," he said. "Let me get through the World Series."
Another factor in the issue could be the upcoming St. Petersburg mayoral election.
Selig announced plans to leave office in January 2015. Asked Saturday if he expected the Rays situation to be resolved by then, he replied: "I don't know. I don't. If I did, I wouldn't say tonight anyway. But I don't know."