Some more on Rays-Padres trade
Here are a few more items on today's seven player trade that sent LHP Alex Torres and RHP prospect Jesse Hahn to San Diego for INF/OF Logan Forsythe and RHP Brad Boxberger, plus minor-league RHPs Matt Andriese and Matt Lollis and INF Maxx Tissenbaum.
* Forsythe and Boxberger will go on the Rays 40-man roster, though both have options remaining and thus can start the year or be sent to the minors.
* Andriese was ranked 15th among Padres prospects in the soon-to-be-released Baseball America Prospect Handbook. Forsythe and Boxberger were not eligible, Lollis and Tissenbaum not ranked. Hahn was ranked 15th among the Rays prospects.
* Forsythe started at five positions last season for the Padres - 2B (31), SS (9), 3B (8), LF (7), RF (2). He was one of only six big-leaguers to play in at least 10 games at four or more.
* Torres will slot into the Padres bullpen, with GM Josh Byrnes saying they expect him to be more than just a lefty specialist. Torres said he hoped the deal allowed him to return to starting, but Byrnes said they planned to have him in the bullpen this season but would be open to revisiting the idea in future seasons.
* Here are some excerpts of what Rays executive VP Andrew Friedman had to say about the players the Rays got:
On Forsythe: "A versatile infielder that provides really competitive at-bats. We feel like various injuries have prevented him from reaching his potential. We see a lot of upside in his skill set on both sides of the ball. We feel like he fits us really well. Plays extremely hard. Glowing reports on his makeup. We feel like his profile fits into our system really well.''
On Boxberger: "Has top-end strikeout ability, swing and miss fastball and changeup, stuff that plays extremely well in the strike zone. He has the potential to be a high-leverage full-inning reliever, that came do equally well against right-handers and left-handers. He's missed a lot of bats. Like most young pitchers, improved command will be a goal and kind of a focal area for us as he joins our organization.''
On Andriese: "A guy who has kind of rocketed though the minor leagues. He's a starting pitching prospect that does two things we value quite a bit which is throw strikes and have the ability to keep the ball on the ground. We really like his ability to manipulate the ball, both fastball and secondary (pitches). He's very good at giving hitters' different looks and mixing and matching in terms of eye levels. ... He's got a chance, he should be a starting pitching for us.''
On Lollis: "He's a 6-9 big right-handed power arm. He's got really intersting ingredients. ... He's someone we feel that with the makeup, the reports and the stuff, there's a real compelling upside story to him so we're anxious to get him into our organization.''
On Tissenbaum: "Excellent bat to ball skills. An infielder who's bounced around a little bit and even picked up some time behind the plate, and a guy that does some things we really value.''