Friday already? Seven and then some.
1. Susan Thurston in this morning's Times: Florida's back-to-school sales tax holiday starts Friday and runs through Sunday with savings on more items this year. The Midwest director of the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy in this morning's letters to the editor: Sales tax holidays like the one in Florida this weekend are poorly targeted, costly and represent a lost opportunity to get tax fairness right.
3. Pound for pound, you won't find a better fighting fish in the gulf. After a two-month closure, the season for these offshore brutes — which can be found from Key West to Pensacola — reopens today.
4. A lizard that can grow up to four feet long is causing incalculable damage to Florida’s delicate ecosystem, and wildlife officials are on the hunt for them. Click.
5. "It's a dive bar surrounded by college bars. It's a real bar. This bar doesn't have to fake the funk. It's like the Flamingo, it's like Wilson's." Click.
6. "You lose (James) Shields. You lose (Carl) Crawford. You lose B.J. (Upton). A lot of good guys. That's what happens around here." Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "Until we build a new ballpark, it's going to continue to happen."
7. Did you see this obit in yesterday's paper?